Monday, March 3, 2014

confessions of an Oscaraholic.

I get why people crack on award shows. I really do. They often see a bunch of self-involved celebrities wearing obscenely expensive clothing coming together to pat themselves on the back for making an ungodly amount of money. While I partly agree and completely understand what they are saying, I will always love a good red carpet and award show viewing. Especially my beloved Oscars.


I look forward to it every year. I go through intense preparations for the big day. I try to watch all of the contending Best Picture nominees (and as many of the other categories as possible), as well as reading all of the insider industry picks in order to give my best and most educated predictions. This year I predicted 20/24 correctly, which proves that it’s a real shame I’m not a betting woman.


Now I realize that the Academy doesn’t always nominate what might be the truly BEST films or performances of the year. It’s most often saved for the best performances within the biggest money making films of the year. So many small films with beautiful stories and stunning performances go unrecognized simply because they don’t have someone like the Weinstein company backing them. Is it fair? Certainly not. But that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t be able to enjoy the big performances. I won’t be a film snob. I will never say we have to hate something just because it makes money. That’s not me. I truly adore movies and do not discriminate. I can equally enjoy the quiet beauty of an indie flick and the in your face budget-blowing action of a blockbuster.

So I ask that you don’t judge the award show watchers of the world. We aren’t all mainstream soaked celebrity obsessed airheads. Some of us are intelligent, mainstream AND indie loving entertainment junkies who also happen to love judging celebrities in designer gowns that we will most likely never be able to afford...while posting about it all on Twitter. It’s such good fun to be a loud, proud Oscar fan! 

So in honor of that, I will leave you with MY picks and favorite moments from the night.


And the Bekah goes to...


Best Picture: Her - I fell into the warmest and happiest trance while watching that film. It gave me all the best feels.


Actor in a Leading Role: Leonardo DiCaprio - I stay true to my teenage obsessions and he truly was sensational in The Wolf of Wall Street.


Actress in a Leading Role: Judi Dench - Her portrayal as Philomena got my heartstrings tugging in the all the right places.


Actor in a Supporting Role: Jared Leto - He threw himself into every aspect of that role and blew me away. Plus, that hair…


Actress in a Supporting Role: Lupita Nyong’o - I love a first time winner with raw talent.


Directing: Alfonso Cuarón - Anyone that can make a successful and intriguing film with only one person throughout 85% of the movie deserves some mad props.
Animated Feature: Frozen - Because Let it Go! Let it Gooooooo!


Original Screenplay: Spike Jonze for Her - That script was fresh, tender, and just beautifully written. It made my heart go boom.


Original Score: William Butler and Owen Pallet for Her - Yeah, so I kind of loved everything about that film.


Original Song: Let it Go by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez - I mean, come on. Idina and the fact that it just makes you belt it out with pure joy is reason enough for me.


Costume Design: Catherine Martin for The Great Gatsby - The wardrobe for that film was drool worthy. Baz’s wife nailed it!


My Best Favorites:


Ellen Degeneres. Everything she did - Glinda the Good Witching herself, ordering pizza for the starving actors, the most beautiful (and retweeted) selfie seen round the world, just ALL of it. She can do no wrong in my eyes. She’s funny without being cruel and she’s silly. I like silliness.


Lupito Nyong’o looking flawless while giving the most genuine, eloquent, and inspiring speech of the night. She’s pure class and talent.


Jared Leto making all the humans melt into a puddle of lust.


The acceptance speech that the songwriters for Let It Go gave was pure quirk and cute overload. I want to be their friend.


Pharrell’s performance made the world a happier place.


And lastly, I leave you with these hilariously true words spoken just before announcing the Best Screenplay category:


“The mind of a writer can be a truly terrifying thing. Isolated, neurotic, caffeine-addled, crippled by procrastination and consumed by feelings of panic, self-loathing and soul-crushing inadequacy. And that’s on a good day.”


Peace, Love, & Popcorn,

Bekah





1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I am not the only one obsessed with it. I can rely on you to be tweeting alongside me during awards season...therefore ensuring I am not the only obnoxious one. :) So glad you are blogging more regularly. YOu are added to my reading list on my blog!

    ReplyDelete