Monday, March 10, 2014

must feed travel monster.



Wanderlust:  A very strong or irresistible impulse to travel.

This is one of my favorite words. Probably because it describes how I feel the majority of the time. If I am not off on a trip somewhere, then you can pretty much guarantee that I am dreaming about my next big adventure and plotting out when it will take place. Traveling is ALWAYS on my mind.

It’s a blessing and a curse, this wanderlust. On the one hand, you unearth so much about the world. You experience different cultures, smells, tastes, architecture, colors, religion, landscapes...and through this, you test boundaries and learn so much about yourself. Once you become a traveler, you will never be able to look at the world the same way. It causes an insatiable thirst for knowledge and adventure - you will always want to see and discover more and more.

The downside - finding the time and money for these journeys. It’s frustrating that these sort of silly things get in the way of such a beautiful experience but it’s a reality that we (poor) travelers have to face. I have purposely chosen jobs in my life based on flexibility in order to take off whenever my heart so desired. This is great and all but I still have bills to pay and obligations at home that seriously drain the funds. For example, I’m currently trying to be an “adult” and get myself out of debt (what a freaking bore) and it’s putting a major damper on any contributions to my travel jar. Bummer.

So I find myself in a sort of limbo. I’m not young enough to just spend money that I don’t have and float off without a care in the world anymore because it seems I know too much about the boring facts of adult responsibility (blerrrrrgh). The challenge now is to strike a healthy balance between the two. I’m not tied down to a specific job or obligation which is simply wonderful but the sad fact is, I sort of suck at money management. I’m working on it. Really, I am...but every time I get an email update about another cheap flight or groupon getaway, it takes everything within me to resist the urge to buy ALL the vacations. And the longer I go without a trip, the harder it gets. I am currently going on 6 months since my last flight and I AM ABOUT TO LOSE MY MIND, Y’ALL! The travel monster within me must be fed.

So if anyone wants to keep me out of debt and pay me to travel and then write about it, this will solve all of my problems and I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER.


This is what I look like on travel - SO HAPPY!



Peace, Love, and Travelin',

Bekah

No comments:

Post a Comment