Friday, April 18, 2014

let's hear it for the boys for the girls

As I was catching up on my DVR this morning and getting my laugh on with Ellen, Pharrell Williams was a guest. I've always adored Pharrell but listening to him chat about his newest album GIRL made my love for him (and that album) grow exponentially! It celebrates women in the best way - shunning the ridiculous beauty standards which we are held to and promotes being unique and strong. Sure, I'm aware he also co-wrote "Blurred Lines" (which I had stuck in my head for MONTHS and proves I am no hardcore feminist) but I think this album was his way of showing his personal views on women in society and his abounding love for us.

That interview got me thinking about all of the other male celebs who I have heard/seen vocalizing their support for women's rights in one form or another. So this blog is dedicated to a few of the hottie male celebs standing by our side. 


Pharrell Williams


I think I said it all above, but go listen to his album and find out for yourself. Love you for real, Pharrell!

















Ryan Gosling


Not only is Ryan Gosling one of the sexiest and most wanted men on the planet, he was raised by a single mom and has always been very vocal about his support and love for us women. There's even a book of feminist theory inspired by our favorite sensitive movie man. Thanks for being so hunky and supportive, Mr. Gosling. 
John Legend

John Legend can melt you into a puddle of feelings with his smooth voice and piano hands. But maybe you didn't know that he's been busy speaking up for women's rights and always praising his stunning wife, Chrissy Teigen (I kind of love following her on twitter). 

Do yourself a favor and go watch his video for "All of Me". *SWOON*




Joseph Gordon-Levitt


Joseph Gordon-Levitt refers to his mother a radical feminist and while I'm certainly not in that category (I'm more feminist-ish), I'm a major fan of any mother raising her son to appreciate and respect women. He knows we are strong, capable, and smart.

While I do love being feminine and girly, I also know that I am more than what I look like - and so does JGL. 









Sir Patrick Stewart


As if I needed another reason to love Professor X, he's gone and given me a million more. He witnessed the abuse of his mother by his father as a child and is now using his privileged position to be a major advocate and player in the fight against the violence of women. It's a sad and terrible reality but it gives me hope to see men fighting for this cause. Right on, Sir Patrick! 

Keep up the good work and your joyful friendship with Sir Ian McKellen. These moments are pure happiness. 






So let's raise a glass to all of the sexy men, celeb or not (like my sweet darling), who know that women are just as smart, capable, funny, and strong as them. I look forward to the day when this is a non issue but until then, let's fight on my ladies and gents!


Peace, Love, + Girl Power,

Bekah


2 comments:

  1. OK! I totally saw that episode of Ellen. Was it the same one the school children sang Happy and Pherell teared up? I loved it. Anyway, love this list and any excuse to be reminded of why I love JGL is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a good episode. Basically, if Pharrell has been on anything lately, I have watched and cried. haha. And as if we needed anymore reasons to love JGL and Mr. Gosling!

      Delete